Stapehill Abbey nestles in its own grounds between Ferndown and Wimborne. Just far enough from the main road network to enjoy tranquillity and seclusion, yet within easy reach of local amenities, transport links and the world renowned Jurassic Coastline and the New Forest National Park. Set within a significant landscape setting, great care and attention has been given to the overall site design. Phase 1 - comprises a total of 18 dwellings created from the existing buildings, with many artefact and period features retained throughout.The bell tower stands sentinel over the twin chapels and associated buildings all of which have been painstakingly restored and imaginatively reconfigured to create a community of character homes.
A four double bedroom family home arranged over three floors with a private patio and direct access to the formal communal gardens. The front door to the property is along the Cloister Walkway and opens to ground floor accommodation comprising a kitchen/diner which has direct access to a private patio and a well proportioned living room. On the first floor there are two double bedrooms, each with a stylishly fitted ensuite, whilst on the second floor there are two further double bedrooms served by a contemporary style bathroom. The property also benefits from a double garage.
The extensive communal grounds offer a peaceful haven of established planting, historic landscaped gardens and a tranquil lake - to be enjoyed by the residents at their leisure. Having lain dormant for a number of years, this landmark site has been lovingly restored to its former glory and further enhanced to create a truly stunning environment in which to live. History will be preserved for ever within the bounds of this outstanding development yet with the benefit of modern living conveniences. Mellow flagstones and terracotta tiles intertwine with quality brickwork and reclaimed roofing materials, whilst the grounds have delightful original features strategically situated for the enjoyment of residents.
Stapehill Abbey was built in the early 19th century and was home to the Holy Cross Abbey order of Cistercian Trappist nuns from 1802 to 1991. The founding group of women was led by Madame Augustin de Chabannes, a professed sister of the Parisian Abbey of Saint Antoine. She had been imprisoned in the Bastille, narrowly escaping the guillotine when the Bastille was stormed, and fleeing to Switzerland and a brief respite at La Val Sainte, before joining the monastic odyssey, which took the refugees across Europe in search of asylum. The church was built in 1847-51 and designed by Charles Hansom and the cemetery contains a memorial cross of 1844 by Pugin, commemorating the abbess Mde.de Chabannes.
PROPERTY OFFICE :
46- 47 East Street, Wimborne, BH21 1DX
T: 01202 039918